Children’s Behavioral Specialist – School Based
Agency Name: North Country CMH Authority
Agency Contact: Kelly Smith
- Position Type: Full Time
- Job Type: Permanent
- County: Emmet
- Salary Range: $2,171.20 - $2,258.40 per Month
- Send applications to: www.norcocmh.org
- Please include your resume when applying.
Serving six counties in Northern Michigan, North Country Community Mental Health is a public behavioral health organization committed to improving the quality of life for people with mental illness and/or developmental disabilities in our communities. If you’re interested in joining a welcoming team and creating a rewarding career with excellent benefit package, visit our website to submit your application: http://www.norcocmh.org/careers/ *
*Once you are on our website you need to click on the position and scroll to the bottom of the job description and click apply for this position.
JOB TITLE: Children’s Behavioral Specialist – School Based
LOCATION: Petoskey, MI
REPORTS TO: Director of Children and Family Services
STATUS: Full time, Non-Union
HYBRID ELIGIBLE: Yes
Education: Minimum of a master’s degree in human services field in psychology, social work, or counseling. Knowledge and experience in behavioral intervention with children and families and emergency services is preferred.
Experience: Experience working with children and families is essential to this position. Prefer two years of experience providing services to children with mental illnesses and/or intellectual/developmental disabilities and work experience in a school-based setting.
Other: Possess or capable of acquiring required Michigan licensure to meet applicable MDHHS, CMH and Medicaid standards. Lived experiences with behavioral health issues are valued.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position will be responsible for providing direct services and coordination of care services to children and youth identified in Charlevoix and Emmet counties regardless of insurance type. The goal for this position is to provide a pathway for children with mild to moderate behavioral health needs toward school-based services and for children with moderate to severe behavioral health needs toward North Country Community Mental Health services or other community partners as needed. This position will intensify the supports to families with children attending schools in the Charlevoix Emmet Intermediate School District and promote engagement with North Country Community Mental Health services as needed to reduce utilization of hospitalization, to provide early intervention and minimize the risk for the development of more pervasive mental illness. This person will complete specific assessments and evaluations for children as required. This position may work with the school-based behavior team to support children with Dual Diagnosis (Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities and Mental Illness). They will facilitate coordination of behavioral supports across school, home, and other treatment settings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Development of pathways for referrals and access to appropriate services and agencies for students with moderate to severe behavioral health needs.
2. Review students who are at risk for behavioral health decompensation and create care plans to prevent worsening of their condition.
3. Perform duties associated with Children’s Crisis Mobile Response services including taking calls from client’s parents or caregivers and deploying on site to schools to assist school staff with de-escalating crisis situations as determined.
4. Collaborate with teachers, NCCMH staff and parents/caregivers regarding identified needs to support current IPOS and IEPs to ensure appropriate accommodations are identified and implemented.
5. Consult with NCCMH staff, parents/caregivers and school staff regarding school behavior and learning plans.
6. Provide supports and psychoeducation to parents/caregivers and school staff on behavioral interventions, mental illness, intellectual/developmental disabilities and techniques needed to manage behaviors and symptoms.
7. Develop and utilize objective monitoring of symptoms so that there is valid input to clinical and school staff to make decisions regarding needed supports.
8. Organize, when appropriate, clinical group opportunities for children and youth to develop and practice the necessary coping skills they need to develop and manage their behaviors and symptoms.
9. Work with families in a manner which is sensitive to the family dynamics and respectful of the parents as well as the child being served.
10. Work closely with school staff, family support specialists, children’s clinical team, child psychiatrists, center supervisors, outpatient therapists to ensure continuity of care.
11. Perform as a consultant, providing training and facilitating understanding of severe emotional impairment, mental illness and intellectual/developmental disabilities in children and youth.
12. Maintain adequate clinical records and document services according to agency standards.
13. Participate in Individual Plan of Service meetings, IEP’s, NCCMH agency meetings and school-based meetings as required.
14. Perform evaluations and assessments within scope of practice and training.
15. Provide community education to facilitate public awareness and acceptance, as necessary.
16. Prepare reports and presentations for schools, individuals, committees, or agencies.
17. Work irregular hours when necessary.
18. Visit children in their homes, school, or other treatment locations as directed.
19. Complete intake assessments for clients living in the Charlevoix Emmet County areas as assigned.
20. Meet direct and indirect service activity expectations.
21. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Ability to walk, bend, stand, sit, lift up to 50 pounds with or without assistance, stretch/reach, hear, see, hand/finger dexterity and drive a vehicle. Position requires physical ability to complete and maintain certification in CPI techniques which will be a training class provided to the job incumbent. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions in accordance with applicable laws.
• Strong problem solving and creative skills; ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
• Actively participates as a member of a team and offers assistance to others when needed.
• Supports a philosophy of service delivery that is strength-based, recovery-based, person centered and culturally competent.
• Participate on team projects or on committees when appropriate.
• Adherence and commitment to applicable policies and procedures as required by the Department of Community Mental Health, the Mental Health Services Board, CharEm ISD, and other pertinent regulatory agencies.
• Ability to work within guidelines of the code of conduct, regulatory compliance plan and personnel policies.
• Proficient with Microsoft Windows and the Office Suite, especially Outlook, Word and Excel; able to maneuver on the Internet to conduct research or obtain information, including EHR and Video Conferencing.
• Report any situation that is a potential violation of the False Claims Act or any otherwise reportable occurrence as defined in the Regulatory Compliance Plan.
• Ability to pass DSS 1326 clearance.
• Meet physical requirements for position, which may include the ability to assist in lifting consumers, packages, and equipment.
• Ability to utilize physical intervention techniques.
• Maintain confidentiality regarding all client data.
• Maintain a positive attitude with work assignments and in relationships with co-workers.
• Must be current in CPR and First Aid; provided by NCCMH.
• Complete initial training in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (CPI); provided by NCCMH.
• Have own phone for communication and reliable access to messages.
• Have reliable transportation in carrying out agency duties.
• Possess a valid Michigan’s driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.